The Importance of LGBTQIA+ Fraternities and Sororities by Christopher A. Miofsky


In the fall of 2001, I found myself on the campus of Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) as a bright-eyed and excited first year student ready to do “all the things”. Coming out of high school, I was heavily involved with co-curricular activities (band, student council, peer leadership, pit orchestra, etc.). I was *that* student. Thus, it was no surprise when I got to SIUE and decided to continue with my involvement. I knew prior to going to SIUE that I would join a fraternity. I am one of the “always joiners”. Before going through men’s recruitment, I met with the Fraternity and Sorority Advisor who encouraged me to meet with multiple organizations to make sure I make the right choice. As an 18-year-old who clear knew everything, I did not listen and went to the biggest and most popular fraternity on campus at the time. My membership with them last two days before I dropped out, but my desire to join never decreased and I vowed to try again the next year which is when the Universe intervened. In the spring of 2002, I was introduced to a new fraternity coming to my campus: Delta Lambda Phi, a fraternity whose mission is “…to enhance the quality of life among men irrespective of sexual orientation and gender expression by providing dignified and purposeful social, service, and recruitment activities.” “Wait a minute…” I said to myself; “a ‘gay’ fraternity?! SIGN ME UP!” The rest, as they say, is history.

Founded in 1986 by Vernon L. Strickland, III, Delta Lambda Phi (DLP) Fraternity has become the largest, oldest, and premier fraternity for folx looking for distinctly Queer and fraternal experiences. Espousing values such as: Excellence, Integrity, Diversity, Justice, Service, Friendship, and Commitment, members come from many walks of life to find a home within the membership. Yet, Delta Lambda Phi is not the only Queer identified organization! Across the country there are several organizations like DLP. Of these organizations, most notable being Gamma Rho Lambda sorority which is “an all-inclusive social sorority exemplifying the qualities of tolerance, diversity, unity, and trust which provides a network of assistance in the areas of scholastic guidance, emotional support, and community service while ultimately developing lifelong family bonds.” While it would be easy to say, “Oh that’s cool those exist” and move on, we must take a moment to step back and understand the founding of Queer identified Fraternity and Sorority Life (FSL) organizations.

The 1980s saw the height of the AIDS epidemic, the fight for LGBTQ+ rights, some questionable fashion choices (lol), and other notable events within the Queer Community. Many Queer folx attending college faced the choice of joining an FSL organization and staying in the closet or coming out and risk being kicked out of their organization; an organization that may have become their only support system. Thus, it made sense that students would coalesce together and create own fraternal organizations to provide the same experiences their counterparts enjoyed, but in an open and inclusive way. Strickland wrote in his book, “Most young men frequently share a common need; the desire to be accepted. Acceptance requires inclusion” (Strickland 1995). He goes on to state “The invitation [to join] itself is an acknowledgment of worthiness.” While this statement references the process of joining in an operational sense, we can expand the use of the word “worthiness” to a larger scale.

For many Queer folx who have otherwise been deemed unworthy by their families, friends, and larger society, the desire to be ‘worthy’ does not disappear. Particularly for college aged students, who are solidifying their identities, the need to be deemed worthy by peers is critical to their identity development and self-confidence; especially now as society is increasing determined to strip Queer other people of their basic rights. In a conversation with the Executive Director of Delta Lambda Phi, Bryan Guffey, they shared, “In a country where trans youth are denied healthcare and their parents can be arrested for child abuse, Delta Lambda Phi remains relevant. In a country where even saying the word “Gay” is being banned in elementary schools, Delta Lambda Phi remains relevant. In a world where so many of our hard-won rights are once again up for debate and in danger of being stolen away, the brothers, community, family, and dedication to justice that is the hallmark of Delta Lambda Phi remains crucially, urgently, painfully relevant.” This sentiment extends to many other cultural and identity fraternities and sororities across around country and around world; a future blog post for sure!

As LGBTQ+ identified organizations, we have come a long way, but the long journey continues. As for me, I will strive to honor the letters I proudly wear through my actions and my behavior. Much has been given to me by my fraternity and there is still so much more my fraternity can give to others. However, I find one thing certain…organizations like Delta Lambda Phi and Gamma Rho Lambda are just as important today as they were when they were founded. We are providing support, justice, and love for our members who need and want it. We will strive to make the world a kinder and more inclusive place. We will ensure that our campuses are homes for all who come seeking knowledge and wisdom. We will continue to work to ensure justice for all no matter how long it takes.

*For more information on Delta Lambda Phi and Gamma Rho Lambda, please check out their websites linked earlier this article or come find me in my office, Community Commons 3200!

-Christopher A. Miofsky

References: Strickland III, Vernon L. (1995). The Annual of a Gay College Fraternity. Unpublished Manuscript.

**Thank you to Christopher for guest blogging this week, make sure to tune in on Friday for Maria’s resources!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Child Abuse and Families with Trans Youth by Kiristen Hubbard

Culture Is Not My Costume by Ellise A. Smith, M.S.Ed